Tips on the 2013 Kentucky Derby 139 in Louisville: horses hats dresses and new security rules on what you can bring
Click this link for the list of what you can bring to Churchill Downs today --> https://www.rivervalleygroup.com/area-info/kentucky-derby-louisville-2013/
Also on that page you will see Heidi's tips for how to have a great Derby experience.
- Take a 12" x 12" purse and load it with the following items: bandaids, foldable ballet-flat shoes (from Walgreens, Factory Card Outlet or Gap), sunglasses, your ID, cash, phone, a ball point pen or sharpie to write on the program, clear foldable poncho, protein/energy bar, tylenol.
- You can park far away and take a golf cart to the Downs. The bicycle taxis can get closer to the gate than the motorized golf carts, I've been told.
- Take lots and lots of pictures. Don't be shy. You'll have great memories of this fun day.
- You can never go "overboard" with your hat. Put some more ribbons and feathers and clip on some more flowers. No, it's not too big. Stop worrying about it ;)
- If you take home a souvenir glasses, wrap them in papertowels or your shawl before your put them in your purse or they could break in your bag.
- Do not try to drive home after drinking Lillies and Mint Julep drinks all day. There are many taxis waiting for you on Central Avenue that will take you to dinner and bring you back later fo your car when you are ready to drive. Get in the taxi line early. At the end of the day, you will wait a long time in the taxi line.
- Talk to everybody around you. You're in Kentucky where it's OK to be friendly to strangers. Have a great time meeting new people. You'll make good friends and lasting memories.